Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Bookcase

The Bookcase

So, before I get you updated on my dating life. I have to tell you about "The Bookcase". For the past four years, I have had a bookcase in my living room. "The Bookcase" is a tall, mahogany colored bookcase (ok, maybe espresso, I have no idea at this point) that my brother bought me for my 27th birthday. There is one major thing that stands out about "The Bookcase", it has never been put together.

Why, you ask? Because the bookcase needs two people to put it together and not one "man" I have dated has ever offered to help me even after not-so-subtle hints. The "X's" have sat in my living room hundreds of times watching television, eating my delicious cuisines and viewing movies, but never even mentioned the infamous "Bookcase." It was like they knew...

The Story of the Book Case:

 So, when I received the bookcase I was 27, I was still living in Florida and boyfriend after boyfriend has seen it sitting propped up in my living room in its original brown cardboard box, but yet not one has said "Hey, Mandi, why don't we put that thing together". When I decided to move from Florida, I simply wrote my name on the box and shipped it up to Pittsburgh, where now it still sits like a bad omen in my living room for the past year and a half (and ahm ahm two boyfriends later).

The Omen:

So my mother has declared that the "man I will marry" will put this bookcase together (yeah, no pressure or anything). So, as you can see there is a jinx, a curse and an omen on the bookcase. I won't even touch the sucker at this point. Half because of superstition and the other half because if I put it together myself will I never meet the "one?"Lol. Sounds silly, ok, it's completely ridiculous, but it's only because of the fact that now it sits there ...all book-less and forlorn staring me down from the corner of my room.

Now considering I read around 12 to 15 novels a year and I'm not a Nook-type girl, my books are really starting to get ticked off. They keep crying to me that they are all strewn about on chairs and shelves despite the fact that a seven-floored mansion awaits them.  Agh, the pressure. Just saying. Damn that Damn bookcase.

Who knew that a bookshelf could cause so much drama.




Next up in "Life in Her Shoes"

As for keeping you "up-to-date". Date number two was postponed due to unforeseen circumstances. I am set to see Mr. Match again on Thursday. So, please 'follow" my new blog and wait and see what happens next.

~ Mandi




No comments:

Post a Comment