Thursday, June 7, 2012

Match.com First Guy, First Date!


So, I begin this blog, as a new member, ok a renewed member of match.com looking for love a little too late (according to the standard by laws of the suburban Pittsburgh culture). Last night, I went on a date with a 28 year-old journalist. We traveled to the Silk Elephant in Squirrel Hill for Tapas. 

Now, I know that looks may certainly be deceiving, but his profile had several which showed his face, so I felt like he would certainly be attractive. I had to walk past a large window to walk in and I made sure to gaze down because I could feel his eyes check me over from inside the room before I even had a chance to walk through the doors. I really wished at this point that I didn't know the set-up of the restaurant before I walked through the door. 

Still, it is quite relieving to meet someone on a semi-blind date that fits the description you concocted in your head. Phew...much to my relief. So, on my own sub-conscious check list, I made a mark that he was not at all hard on the eyes. Now, I thought, let's keep our fingers crossed for personality. 

 Now the restaurant was basically empty, but the hostess decided to sit us at a tiny two top which was basically on-top of the only couple in the restaurant near us and they were speaking a foreign language and staring at us. Being in the uber polite, stranger, i'm going to try and impress the heck out of you phase of the night, I decided not to make a crass remark which I would typically make. 

So, we ordered a bottle of wine, which by the way is one amazing invention which certainly is the best alcoholic beverage to order on a date because it gives you a warm, fuzzy, comfortable buzz. Then we proceeded to order one tapas at a time. Like a "taste test of tapas" as we got to know one another. 

The conversation flowed back and forth easily, thank goodness, and we quickly learned about one anothers history and life perspectives. We began easing up around each other, with the occasional nervous knock of a plate. Eventually, we discussed the learning couple next to us and he believed they spoke german, I thought french, they mumbled a lot. I also gave my friends waiting at home the occasional updated text on how he was cute and had a great personality ect...because i'm a woman and that's what we do.

So, dinner wrapped up and we decided to grab a beer at the local bar and catch the end of the hockey game. That's when the hair came down and we could start to really be ourselves. He gave me a quick peck on the cheek sometime between sips and bathroom breaks and he mentioned hanging out again soon, we rested on seeing Prometheus because of his affection for sci-fi and my adoration for scary movies, but it seems he couldn't wait because he will be attending a concert with me tomorrow. There was also some mention of a wedding he doesn't want to go stag to in the Dominican Republic, but that is months away. I guess he was just flirting with the idea. 

The date concluded with him walking me to my car and holding my hand along the way, with a sensual but soft open mouthed kiss under the stars. I feel like you should always add that you were under the stars to make it seem a little more romantic. Good kisser, check! Yes, women constantly makes lists in their minds just in case you were wondering.  Well, we will see how date number two goes.  I guess match.com isn't such a bad idea after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment